Thursday, April 11, 2013

Lego Technic 9398 XL Motor modification


Recently bought 2x XL-motor (8882), pictured here on top 8110.



Read & view up some MOC ideas... and started my own modification to change the both the motor from L to XL.
Currently, I don't have enough extra parts, hence I make do with a rough-design, and about 60-70% sturdiness, at least for now. There will be future versions.


Angle-view

The chassis expand 1 beam wider on each left & right side, to accomodate the wider XL motor and free-play for suspension.
Suspension remains at same height, but split wider due to expand chassis.


Back-view

Change the gears and affect the ratio. XL motor is about half the RPM of L motor, but with higher torque, hence not much speed improvement. Crawling over objects is slightly better though.
Extra bracing to hold the motor & gears in place. No gears skipping/grinding.


 
Side-view

Notice the taller XL motor, the height is nearly touching the upper portion of the car. Hence, I may need to modify further to increase the suspension by 1 beam.

That all the own testing I've done so far. I know there are many more complete versions/blog/video out there, but this is at my own pace and testing.


No comments:

Post a Comment