Sunday, April 21, 2013

Lego 9398 - Motorized Rescue Helicopter


Nothing new in this, as per building instruction. The length and width is bigger than Unimog & Crawler, mainly due to the main-rotor. Height wise, lower. I did not put on any stickers ... yet.


I don't know about others, but my winch is very tight. Due to the grey-pin bush with friction below. The motor can't turn this, so I replaced with a 5.5 axle with stop. BTW, I use my own longer string. However, when I disengage the gear for winch, it is free fall when something is on the hook.

I may need to sacrifice some spare bush-pin and sand-down some of the friction on the pin. Or research more for other solutions.




I do not have the power-function motor set (8293), so I take the parts from other vehicles to try here:
- M-motor
- Battery box
- IR receiver
- Remote control
- 8-tooth gear
- 24 tooth gear with clutch (white)

All works fine, after the above fix for the winch. Here is the video with the winch, rear-cargo door, landing-wheels and rotor.



Something I note (before I do further research on internet), when the rotor rotates, it has momentum and when I stop the motor, the rotor will continue for a while. This can mean disaster for the gears, as the rotor forces the gear to rotate the motor. Hence, a smart design here for the safety mechanism, there is a gear on L-beam which can roll up to prevent gears grinding. 

Also, this means the motor can only rotate the rotors in one single-direction. If switch the other direction, the gears will rotate freely. Which is what a helicopter rotor should be, rotate in one direction for lift. Below is the video of how it works.



All in all, the helicopter is quite complete. There is a stick to adjust the rotor pitch.
One thing missing though, is the tilt (front and back) for the chopper to move forward/backward, in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment